Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: 144 hertz monitor worth it?  (Read 7660 times)

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
144 hertz monitor worth it?
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:00 AM »
I have a 60 hertz monitor that I run  with an i5-3570k and an 7970 3gb and was wondering if the upgrade to a 144 hertz monitor would be worth it.  Ghost says that the change for him was pretty amazing and was hoping for more input.  It will also be a 27" instead of 23".  This would be for more fast action games, I don't think I would see a change in Arma 3 really.  Thanks for any thoughts.

BeerMonsta

Re: 144 hertz monitor worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:33 PM »
I run 3 x 24" 120 hertz monitors on eyefinity and I do think it looks smoother on 120 than 60 however I have been told the human eye can't see anything quicker than 60hz so it's pointless.

I have no idea if that's true or not and don't care all I know is I payed a lot for 3 monitors so to me it looks better :)

1 thing you will find with a big monitor is if you sit close you feel like you need more eyes but you do adapt after a while just stick with it.

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:00 AM »
I have no idea if that's true or not and don't care all I know is I payed a lot for 3 monitors so to me it looks better :)

:)  I know nothing about monitors, but I've read of studies which show that people who spend money on super-high-end audio gear, for example, enjoy listening to it more - not because the human ear is capable of such distinctions, but just because it cost a lot. It's sort of a placebo effect.

However, since the whole point is to enjoy yourself, if you're going to enjoy it more, that would make it worthwhile, right? As I say, I know nothing about monitors. It might be true that you couldn't tell the difference in a double-blind test (I have no idea, so I'm not claiming this), but that you'd still think it looked better because you do know it's a high-end monitor.

It's kind of funny, but why not make use of such quirks of human nature when we can?  ;)

Bill

BeerMonsta

« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2014, 12:38 PM »
This is why I do it 5760x1080. Stops people sneaking up on you in most games but no use for that in Arma 3 the bad guys shoot at you from miles away.

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 07:02 AM »
Nice!

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2014, 11:11 AM »
I got a 27" 120Hz Monitor.. and I think its more smooth in Arma on 120 Hz, but it might just be an illusion....
I got a second monitor running 60 Hz, but dont run Arma on that one.. only for teamspeak.
Tired and Tired again, re-tired!

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014, 08:11 AM »
Sorry Fish that i didnt see this post earlier, and i guess i could have elaborated a bit more. This is a good video that explains a bit more into the subject. I follow these guys on you tube at the ncix channel as well as his own linus tech tips which both have great reviews and info on pc parts ect.

I somewhat agree with bill but monitors cant be compared to audio directly since what you perceve as "quality sound" is really personal preference. In this case we are looking at monitor speed for producing images on screen NOT comparing "quality" of the image.
I found I did notice a difference right away when i made the switch....even in windows dragging files or windows around the desktop is smoother. Just quickly dragging your mouse around the screen you can see there is less motion blur from the cursor. This is why people who are looking into flat screen tv's for watching sports are directed to get the 120hz tv's since it offers a smoother reproduction on screen of faster moving objects. I also when i first started playing with the monitor would go into each game settings and manually change the fps cap from 60 to unlimited comparing the difference. Dirt 3 i noticed right away and my gpu at the graphic settings i had input was only able to push 90-100 fps on average. BF4 was another huge improvement which actually took a bit of time to get use to since everything felt different in gameplay. Now im looking at my next gpu purchase specifically to complement my monitor which I think is my best approach.

I look at it like if im willing to spend 2-400 bucks on a gpu so I can have a better graphic experience and more fps it is almost not worth it unless i finish the "chain" with a decent monitor to output that too. Also they have the biggest return for your money. I'm sure we have all had monitors that we have run for years through cycles of gpu's,upgrades ect. I think its a worthy investment since it will last so long.
I would search ncix on youtube though and take a look at 120/144 hertz monitors compared to high resolution IPS monitors and then decide which you think is more important.........a faster smoother refresh/gameplay experience or incredibly rich/vibrant color reproduction and higher resolution above 1080p.

this video is a quick unboxing review of the monitor i bought except i went with the 24inch

« Last Edit: Mar 05, 2014, 08:41 AM by GhostFire »

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 18, 2014, 05:18 PM »
I struggle to see any enough difference between 60 and 144 to justify the cost for myself.  I'm now thinking of setting up an eyefinity setup probably using Benq 24" gaming monitors.  60 hertz with a 1 sec refresh rate.  BenQ Gaming Monitor RL2455HM is the model number.  Any opinions would be considered.  As you can see I take a long time to make up my mind.  These are on sale for pretty reasonable now though.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: Jun 18, 2014, 06:41 PM »
I use 3 23" for eyefinity display and just love it. They are older acer 60hz and everything seems smooth enough to me.

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2014, 04:14 PM »
I have an Acer H223H now.  It has served me well for probably 5 years.

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2014, 05:10 PM »
I decided to get a Phillips 144 hertz monitor to see what all of the hub-bub is about.  It probably won't make me a better gamer but at least the death screen will look good. ;)

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
« Reply #11 on: Jun 20, 2014, 04:02 PM »
 I just noticed this post today or I would have mentioned the "G-SYNC" technology installed in just a few 144 monitors.

What the heck is G-SYNC you say... take a look. >>

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

Basically what it does is syncs the monitor to your FPS not the GPU trying to sync frames with your monitor. The result is even at 20 FPS you get a nice smooth gameplay and your GPU doesn't have to work harder.

For those who have played lots of Arma , they all understand the frame drop is normal but if you are using this G-SYNC you probably would never notice the frame drop in the first place.

These guys sell them and the kits.

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/nvidia-g-sync.asp

The tech is new but a really good idea. Keep in mind that the kits can only be installed on specific monitors. I do think this will change in the near future and you all will be seeing lots of these built right in your standard monitors.

I see you have already chose a monitor FisherCat . That seems like a nice one. Mine is just a 60fps LG 32inch but it works nicely .

Well hope this info helps someone out there in the ArmaVerse.
β€œIt's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 20, 2014, 04:36 PM »
The 144 hertz is more for faster action gaming.  For Arma I am not expecting a massive change.  I will probably get a close match to my 23 inch to try eyefinity for Arma.  24 in  the middle and 2 23's for the rest.