Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Little Bird training  (Read 5377 times)

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
Little Bird training
« on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:56 AM »
Hey guys,
So i know I mentioned to a few people that I'm interested in flying for us if a mission calls for it. I never spent much time before in the choppers so I was pretty slow at it before. Recently I set up my 360 controller to use for flight controls and I have found its made me a way better pilot.
Here is a video of me flying in a community mod Fish told me about that is for training. You have options for which heli to take and the tasks are randomized consisting of troop deployments under fire.
It wasn't a flawless run as I definitely had the little bird riddled with bullet holes but its a great mod for feeling a bit of pressure under fire while transporting troops.
Looking forward to dropping you guys off in the hot zone soon haha........

don't forget to buckle up!!  ;)

Ghost

Offline SkullTT

• STEAM Profile
Re: Little Bird training
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17, 2014, 08:50 AM »
Youtube is telling me the video is private  :(

On another note:
I'm just putting the final touches on a mission that will have two hummingbirds and two pawnees.  Group has to take out AA in a couple towns.

Roads are heavily mined, so hummingbirds must be used to get to the objective, and players cannot be revived by other players.  To be revived you have to be loaded into a chopper and flown back to base where you will revive.  The pawnees have guns and will be for supplying cover and close air support.

Not sure if the concept will work well, bit it should keep a couple pilots pretty busy and testing has been quite fun.

Offline deathmetaldan

• superbientes reprimendi
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2014, 10:27 AM »
yeah, video is set to private. A 360 controller is an awesome idea though. I love flying in the light choppers and was getting pretty good at flying tactically but the landing part wasnt so great. About 25% of the time i could land quickly and safely in a pre determined spot and do a no hover take off.

ill have to get that training mission and try out the game pad. Do you have to set your own controls?

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 17, 2014, 12:23 PM »
crapp sorry...should work now.

Skull that sounds awesome!! I have no problem spending a mission transporting you guys around if that's the task. Let me know if you need help testing or want to give it a go this weekend.

Dan I used most of the default controls for the 360 pad the way it was set-up but tweaked a few to my liking and have been playing around with a few options as well.

You guys will notice in the vid that its all 3rd person. I don't have a means or have figured out a way to have free look inside the cockpit while flying so for now im limited to 3rd person but honestly I prefer it that way any ways.
As for landing...that's exactly what I've been trying to practice mostly. I want to be able to get the time down that it takes to approach and land on target. One of the fastest ways to slow down qick enough to start descending is to pull a loop on the LZ approach. You can see my shady attempts at this in the vid haha. Its definitely something you need to get a feel for and practice to get it down like the pro's on-line. This is all a work in progress and more practice is needed.

Ghost
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2014, 12:31 PM by GhostFire »

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:05 PM »
NOT BAD BUT IF YOU ASK SKULL HE`LL TELL YOU THE TELEPHONE WIRES ARE TO BE ABOVE THE LITTLE BIRD AT ALL TIMES......LOL ;D

NICE VIDEO 8)

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:54 PM »
the dyslexi art of flight videos helped give me some ideas and the stuff he says makes sense i am just having trouble implementing them

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 17, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Nice job.  By default the right stick is free look.  I think you told me you changed the way you had that set up though.  Left stick is steering.  I like the wire passes.

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 17, 2014, 05:13 PM »
just watched the video.... WOW

going to go get my 360 controller right now lol

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 17, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Yeh the wire passes just worked out on that run....believe me when I say "it is possible to hang a hummingbird in wires like a Christmas ornament" :D

I'm gonna still play around with the controller settings but right now it feels pretty good with the way I have it. I prefer 3rd person but 1st person with free look would be great for the immersion effect.

Offline SkullTT

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 17, 2014, 07:57 PM »
I use keyboard and mouse, but had to totally re-do the controls.  So for your enjoyment, here they are:

Note that adding "Space" to cyclic backward allows for pulling back on the stick for a hard turn without having to lift the mouse. This is a great trick for adding to your jet controls as well. You will have to redefine the 'commanding mode' as it defaults to space. I changed it to 'space x2'.

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 17, 2014, 10:56 PM »
just played for awhile with the controller and i felt alot more in control of things. Still need practice but i feel alot better about it. One thing i dont understand is how can you re map the controls for the controller? As it is, with a pawnee the right pedal (right trigger) also fires the mini guns.....

once again, i am really glad you posted this ghost. I had alot of fun in that training mission.

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 18, 2014, 04:19 AM »
Hey Dan you have to go to the controller configure tab and click on the controller under the "controllers with scheme" and disable it.

Once its disabled you will be able to select it from the drop down menu in game and set up the kind of button mapping you like.

Good luck