Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: A Different Approach to Mission Building  (Read 5199 times)

Offline HRD

• Patron
A Different Approach to Mission Building
« on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Gentlemen.
In the next few days I will be pulling all my missions from the server as they are mostly broken and giving errors everywhere because of game updates and mod designers being one step back. One of the main culprits is the Virtual Ammo Boxes. Errors all over the place.

So. Thanks to the creative efforts by Skull, who is developing some scripts where the Mission builder will say what is in the ammo boxes that he wishes to be available to each mission/player. This will be always under OUR control and will be updated when needed but the old missions will still play. PR has scripts for individual players on spawn which will also add to the creativity to mission builders.

I see the game changing to suit the way we/NYDY want to play and have control of our own domain. Making our missions fun for all but with control on how they play and will still play after an update. Of course we can't control what Arma do but at least we have some influence. I do feel we are spoiling ourselves by being able to run to a box and click, click , click and you're done. Too habitual and the fact that the mission builder can control what you have will only add to the immersion. I also think it makes it more important to think about the roll you wish to play and stick with it for the game

I am an amateur when it comes to mission building but having spent many hours getting a mission to play well - then they update and it falls apart is very frustration to say the least. Hopefully getting rid of VAS will help and also add another dimension to the missions.

So hang in and we will get this right eventually - at least I hope so Lol.
H

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
Re: A Different Approach to Mission Building
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2014, 06:59 PM »
As long as I get a rocket launcher, preferably PCML and the over/under scope I'm good.  We need scopes with range capabilities I am old and blind for Christ's sake. :'(

Offline HRD

• Patron
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2014, 07:42 PM »
It would help if you stopped saluting everybody you met - and Butt scratching !

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:10 PM »
I like this way of thinking H, play the slot you've chosen throughout the mission. When mission builders make a slot for a unit to fill, it works better if that position is played per builder's design, for instance AA slot should stay AA (it's there for a reason). Maybe not everyone's first choice but the mission most likely needs a AA for one reason or another.

I do believe in giving everyone at least a RCO scope (not just because it is my favorite), but most likely most our eyes are not as young as they once were  ::) and while a ACO is nice for walkin' the streets it's not real useful at longer distances.

Unfortunately not all missions will be build with everyone as a (AT soldier/sniper/medic/jack of all trades) as we do need and want separate AA, Medic, Repair, etc... So it would be first come first serve. Unless you rape a corpse of coarse  ;D, again mission specific to the builders discretion.

Offline deathmetaldan

• superbientes reprimendi
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2014, 11:33 PM »
having a limited VAS will be nice, most of us have been spoiled with it haha. I was trying to play a little more sim like by not taking the night stalker all the time but then i ended up taking it and not using thermal all the time and now i have gone back to using it all the time. I guess i need something to keep me humble haha. Its nice to know that you guys are coming up with all this cool stuff.

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2014, 07:38 AM »
One of the nicest things about virtual ammo boxes is that we can play these missions with a small number of people. And we often do that, especially in the afternoons (my time). Two, three, four, five of us get together and play a mission, instead of the 18 it calls for.

And often, we do play HRD's missions, because there is a virtual ammo box, so everyone can get what we need to play the mission. In missions without this, we often don't have the equipment we need for the mission, because we don't have enough players to fill all the critical slots.

Now, yes, I'm sure that the mission developer has his own vision (although, given the,... ahem, poor vision of some of us, it doesn't always work as intended). But what if we don't have the 12, or 16, or 18 people the mission was designed for? That's been almost all the time, when I play Arma 3.

And yes, I'm with Fishercat about the old and blind stuff. In fact, I'm lots older than he is. Now, I don't mind playing missions occasionally which don't suit me. But if I have to squint at the computer screen, desperately trying to see what's going on, all the time, this game will very quickly cease to be fun for me.

For better or worse, virtual ammo boxes have let us set up loadouts with suit each of us individually. What I liked - what I needed - wouldn't affect you in the slightest, and vice versa. There's something to be said for individual options. I've never been fond of authoritarian solutions, which demand that everyone play a game the exact same way.

Also, once you set up your own loadouts, they were very quick. We wouldn't have to hang around the starting location, bored out of our minds, waiting for everyone to get equipped.

I understand the problems, and you mission developers can do whatever you want in your own missions. I would never argue otherwise. But I suggest that you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. There are all sorts of reasons why virtual ammo boxes have been so popular. I've played your missions over and over again, with pretty much everyone here, for a reason.

They're popular for many reasons, of course, but partly it's because we can play with even a small number of people and, to a big extent, each person can get out of it whatever he needs or wants. It's still a team effort. We still follow the leader (note that the leadership role rotates, so it's not always the same person). But just because I'm blind, that doesn't really affect anyone else.

Bill

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2014, 08:39 AM »
that is a very good point bill, would there be a way to make it so there was only a limited VAS if you had X amount of players? Live a group of 5 or less woudl have unlimited access while a group of 6 or more has a limited selection?

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2014, 11:35 AM »
I think the point that H was trying to make, is that the virtual ammo box itself "is the pita", always needing attention to maintain.

It would be even a larger effort to, not only maintain a VAS but then regulate how many people would be needed to allow what was being able to get out of it. Yes, you can alter what is allowed in the box (even a much larger effort, been there done that).

The concept is good, the problem is, it takes a lot of time and effort to not only build even a simple mission (sometimes weeks of the builders free time NOT playing), you have the basic concept of a mission (what are we going to do?), revive, respawn, loadouts, spawning, caching spawned, tasks & briefings, item id's, scripting, on and on ... then the testing over and over and over...

If someone doesn't build missions whey probably wouldn't even have a idea the amount of effort one puts into making missions for others to play. Probably the most disappointing thing about making a mission is to have it working properly, the all of a sudden it is broke, from one thing or another and someone say's "this or that isn't working anymore".

The box that H would be using, could still have all the things that are needed to complete a mission, ie AT, sniper, scopes, ammo. Just maybe not everything that is supplied in the VAS. Not sure it is required to complete a mission to have a change of clothes, every kind of hat imaginable, and everything that is under the sink. Sure maybe it wouldn't have all of Opfor's and Independent's weapons to choose from, and perhaps maybe only the faction you are actually supposed to be playing with.

No one want's to make this a miserable time for anyone ie. squinting, no ability to complete missions. However, please keep in mind that these missions don't just magically appear for people to play (yes, even from the workshop, we almost everytime have to repair those missions too).

Last thought, how about let H build a mission first, using his new ammo box, then make your "suggestions or complaints" to help improve a easier system for mission builders. Then again, we will always welcome missions supplied by others here, built by them anyway they like  :D

« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014, 11:38 AM by PapaReap »

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2014, 02:56 PM »
ALL I NEED IS A GUN , SOME BULLETS, A MED KIT AND A FEW GRENADES. THE REST IS SUPPLIED ON THE BATTLE GROUND. ;D KILL AND SCROUNGE FOR THE REST. YOU MIGHT HAVE TO GET CLOSE TO YOUR ENEMY.
« Last Edit: Jan 24, 2014, 02:58 PM by DTRAX »

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2014, 03:50 PM »
I am not discrediting or bashing any of the work that any mission builder has done. I do appreciate it all, i have tried to build 2 missions and i just couldnt do it. So thank you to all who build missions for us whether they work or not. I know taking something you slaved and stressed over and giving it to others who complain and bash is frustrating but just keep in mind you cant please all the people all the time.