Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Tank missions?  (Read 6583 times)

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
Tank missions?
« on: Dec 29, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Hmm,... anyone else think we could use a few more tank missions? We've got two, but that BIS mission is way too easy (at least, it was the only time I tried it - and we only had four people). And Stogy's mission is great, at least until those helicopters completely blow up our respawn point (helicopters are way overpowered in this game, don't you think?), but it's only for 8 players.

I think I'm starting to change my mind about combined arms missions, mostly because we tend to have infinite ammunition, infinite vehicles, and infinite lives, so there's no incentive to not just driving ahead and blasting away. I mean, I understand that. It's got to be really hard to design a combined arms mission which is balanced, but is still fun to play. (This is a game, after all.)

But if we're all in tanks, and we're battling against enemy tanks and enemy infantry, that might be a nice change of pace. I normally prefer to play as infantry (although hauling people around on a quadbike last night was fun - as you know, I do like those quadbikes), but a half-dozen tanks working together would really be a hoot, don't you think?

Or is anyone here aware of a good tank mission we could download to the server? I've been looking around, but haven't found anything that looks good, not yet.

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
Re: Tank missions?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2013, 11:55 AM »
I got an idea how to get through the tank mission. We split into tank crew and one AA unit.
I think we can beat them....

Im all in for tank missions since that was my job in the army :-)
Tired and Tired again, re-tired!

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2013, 01:17 PM »
I got an idea how to get through the tank mission. We split into tank crew and one AA unit.
I think we can beat them....

Sounds good to me, Folke. And even if we die, we'll go out heroes, huh?  :)

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2013, 12:39 PM »
Im so happy...
Found some videos on youtube on "my" tank :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jzAmXIjAE

It gives some memories,,,  first only the good ones..

Then all about , cleaning, changing tracks, more cleaning, adjustments of the gun, more cleaning of the machine guns, getting the tank stuck in the mud.... Hmmmm I think Im better off now...  in Arma 3 there is no maintenance program established for the tanks :-)

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Found some videos on youtube on "my" tank :-)

Neat! That's great to see on a parade ground, but I'd sure hate to face something like that in a war!

Except in a war game, of course.  :)

Bill

Offline T.Oddball

• uinitedassault
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2013, 04:14 PM »
these are the tank battles i want to recreate :)

I have found memories of my panther G and the  battle of Kursk :) those were the day s;)

Offline SkullTT

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2013, 06:31 PM »
...  in Arma 3 there is no maintenance program established for the tanks :-)

I'm not so sure.  I think I spent 5 hours last Sunday trying to get the supply truck to reliably rearm the tank.  I had to script up a new method for handing the Hemtt trucks to get it working.

Long story version: The resupply truck was working as designed by Bohemia.  If it pulls up beside the tank, it will load 4 shells then be empty.  That supply truck is of no further use.  I think you need to get a new supply truck.  People on the web think that bohemia has a typo and it should have 40 shells in the truck not 4.  Anyway, after 5 hours maintenance, I can now have supply trucks that can fully re-arm a tank. :-)

Yenooc

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2014, 10:46 PM »
In reference to tank missions, Dsylecxi has another outstanding training video on vehicle crews:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG6ZGdQpQ1s&feature=share&list=PLQEd6zRLOafU3aek--f71a-GQwByv6_bP

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2014, 04:38 AM »
Thanks Yenooc..  Very good link..  15 months of Tank training in a 10 min youtube movie   :D

My problem is the language, I lose the command words...

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Neat video. Dslyecxi always makes it look easy.  :)

One thing I noticed was that hull-down position at the top of a ridge. That never works for me in Arma 3, because there doesn't seem to be enough gun depression.

We can get to a hull-down position, so that most of the tank is protected from enemy fire, but then we can't shoot at anything, because the gun is pointed up in the air. In order to actually shoot at targets, we have to go over the ridge and partially down the other side (which means that we're completely out in the open, of course).

I don't know if that's realistic or not, but it's why I try to stay away from the tops of hills entirely, when commanding or driving a tank. Instead, I try to use a ravine or stone walls (which we can shoot over) as cover.

Am I just missing something about that hull-down position he was demonstrating?

Bill

Offline deathmetaldan

• superbientes reprimendi
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2014, 10:52 AM »
bill, it happens. Just need to keep your eyes peeled for a good spot and take it when you can. One thing i do when driving is go hull down before the shot or on the reload and then pop out to make the shot and go back..... its risky but its better than just sitting there the whole time.

Yenooc

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2014, 12:58 PM »
Different vehicles have different abilities to depress the main gun . . . but what Dan said about scooting up for the shot, then back down to hide again, is what I learned by way of association with tankers--along with popping back up in a different spot the next time you shoot.  Very much easier said than done, I'm afraid.  (And hull down doesn't keep those helicopters from incinerating me!  >:( )

Folke, learning the jargon is a stumbling block for even recruits from the same nation.  A common jargon streamlines communication, but only when it becomes common.  I find myself saying "klik" for kilometer, and shuddering when I hear someone say "repeat" instead of the "say again," because those bits of jargon are permanently etched in my mind.

And I often misspell Dslyecxi . . .  :P