Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Computer crashes when playing Arma 3  (Read 38810 times)

Offline T.Oddball

• uinitedassault
Re: Computer crashes when playing Arma 3
« Reply #60 on: Dec 14, 2013, 05:45 PM »
one thing that might help you in the future to determine if it is the video card would be to remove it and use the on board video and run the same tests now if the crash happens agian then we know it is not the video card but if it passes all the test then we can almost certainly say it is the card.

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #61 on: Dec 15, 2013, 06:30 AM »
You are basically keeping the guys in business. If they can charge you 100 dollars every time you come in....

Hey, if a hundred dollars every year or two will keep them in business, I'm willing to do my part.  :)

Bill

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Remember this old problem? It's back. :(  I updated my video card driver today - the whole AMD Catalyst Control Center and everything - without even thinking about it setting everything to default again. So, shortly after I started up Arma 3 tonight, my monitor shut down (and I lost all sound, too). It took a hard reboot to start everything up again.

I unchecked "Enable Graphics OverDrive," but that didn't work, either. As soon as I got back into Arma 3, the same thing happened. Frankly, I don't understand that. Apparently, I need to keep OverDrive enabled, but greatly lower the settings from factory default (which worked fine for months, even when playing Arma 3, but... well, I don't understand that, either).

And I couldn't remember what the settings were. Luckily, I posted this back in December:

For now, I'll leave it the way it came from the shop yesterday. They've still got overdrive enabled, but apparently turned the settings way down (GPU clock settings at 500 MHz, memory clock settings at 650 MHz, manual fan control at 40%, power control settings at zero).

FYI, the default settings are GPU clock at 925 MHz, memory clock at 1375 MHz, fan control at 50% (but note that manual fan control is not checked, so I don't know if this does anything), power limit setting still at zero. So those are considerably higher than what I've been running at lately.

Anyway, I still don't understand why simply turning off OverDrive doesn't work, but I'll lower the settings and try Arma 3 again tomorrow. (I want to blow out the dust in my computer first, although it hasn't been too long since I did that..)

The only thing I don't remember is whether or not the manual fan control was checked, back in December when I got my computer back from the shop. I noted that it was set at 40%, but I don't know if it was actually set to manual control or not. I'm guessing no, but I guess I'll see...

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2014, 10:16 PM »
If you got teamviewer installed, either me or one of the magicians here could take a look ? Could it be for some reason that the  fans are maximized to 50% ? that would explain over heating...... 'normally' the graphic  card should sound like a vaccuum cleaner when playing Arma......       you could try to set them manually to 100% and try... 

I really hope it get sorted before Wednesday  ;)
Tired and Tired again, re-tired!

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Hey Bill,
Also another thing you may want to try if you don't already is using AMD's driver remover utility to completely remove the old drivers BEFORE updating to the new ones.
Its very odd that "AMD OverDrive" is enabled automatically without you actually doing it. Something isn't right for sure.  Maybe give AMD customer service a call and see if they know a reason for that.

Ghost

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2014, 08:42 AM »
Could it be for some reason that the fans are maximized to 50% ? that would explain over heating...

Note that Arma 3 has been running just fine with the fans set to 40%. So I wouldn't start having problems when that was increased, I'd think. Either way, manual fan control isn't checked, so I don't think that setting really does anything at all.

Quote from: GhostFire
Also another thing you may want to try if you don't already is using AMD's driver remover utility to completely remove the old drivers BEFORE updating to the new ones.

Maybe, Ghost, but the drivers go in different folders. (I wanted to keep the old drivers just in case I did have problems.) Also, the old drivers worked (once the OverDrive settings were changed). So, no, I don't think the drivers are a problem, though there must be a reason why I can't use the default OverDrive settings without overheating.

Quote from: GhostFire
Its very odd that "AMD OverDrive" is enabled automatically without you actually doing it.

OverDrive was already enabled, GhostFire (although clicking on "default" does enable it, even when it's off). The big problem was that the default settings are far higher than I can use, apparently.

In fact, I couldn't run Arma 3 with OverDrive off. I got the same problem with the computer crashing. I really don't understand that at all.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I suspect that changing the settings will fix me up just fine, again.

Bill

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2014, 09:43 AM »
bill when you get it working take some notes of your settings so next time you can remember what they were set at.
don`t keep the notes on the computer.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2014, 10:05 AM »
Bill, you know the settings they had set the card at right? how about just enabling overdrive, set the card to the same settings the shop had it before (under-clock) and give it a go.  :-\

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2014, 05:54 AM »
Bill, you know the settings they had set the card at right? how about just enabling overdrive, set the card to the same settings the shop had it before (under-clock) and give it a go.  :-\

Yup, that's what I did, and it worked fine (no problem at all in last night's mission).

Luckily, I'd posted the settings here, because I wouldn't have known what they were, otherwise.  :P

Bill