Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: NQDY ~FtR~ Takin' the Tigris v8  (Read 6115 times)

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
NQDY ~FtR~ Takin' the Tigris v8
« on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:52 AM »
For those who like to study  ;)

Yet another attempt at stealing that Tigris, we gave it hell....   
but, came up short again :(

gameplay recorded 2013-10-27
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2013, 08:55 AM by PapaReap »

Offline deathmetaldan

• superbientes reprimendi
    • STEAM Profile
Re: NQDY ~FtR~ Takin' the Tigris v8
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:17 AM »
very awesome! What do you use to capture?

I had an idea for making a shared youtube channel where we could upload ops from different view points.

thanks for sharing

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:21 AM »
NICE JOB REAP, IT IS FUN TO WATCH US IN ACTION ;D

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:23 AM »
very awesome! What do you use to capture?

I had an idea for making a shared youtube channel where we could upload ops from different view points.

thanks for sharing

Dxtory. Yeah, it would be fun to see different perspectives from the same mission. YW.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:36 AM »
NICE JOB REAP, IT IS FUN TO WATCH US IN ACTION ;D

I like it because it's like watching game film, I catch a lot of mistakes I make during gameplay and try to learn from it, kinda like the old football days  ;)

Although everyone probably hated the mission, I think it is good that a mission can be lost, it teaches planning and teamwork. Things don't always go as planned and we adjust as necessary.

Working on the last mission we played by H, hopefully will be up soon. Takes forever to upload with my shitty dsl, fortunately his aren't a marathon like mine so it should go faster.

Offline Stogy

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2013, 12:11 PM »
Cool tool.

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:14 PM »
It is cool seeing actual things that people were trying to explain in game.  It definitly would help with groups that large to be split up in coms.  It's as confusing watching as it was playing for me.  Anythime we are in seperate groups we should split up coms imo.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:23 PM »
Yeah Fish, in theory we were only 2 separate groups, but in actuality we were playing as 3 separate groups, which lead to even more confusion for some.

Separate comms would make it much easier to deal with local issues that each group was dealing with, rather that listening to 3 separate events going on at the same time.

As this video shows, many times, people were either not listening or chose to tune out voice communicatons all together, idk. We need to hammer something out on these type of missions.

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:16 PM »
acre would solve all problems very easily.

Offline TURD

• Founder
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Acre will not solve all the issues. Acre is just a tool or enhancement. Just like any tool it's only as good, how effectively people use it.  One of the problems, we are a causal group, and have no communication discipline nor enforce any rules. With a casual group you are going to have chaos. It comes with the stye of gameplay, and we are the victims of our own induced circumstances.

For the past couple months there has been complaining about communication and other aspects. The intent and core idea of the this group has always been casual, being casual has its limitations. People here need to understand that and live with what revolves around with this type of game-play and group.  I expect you to have the tolerance, patience and as well, deal shortcomings of this type of group. Nothing is perfect and never will be. Also another point, many people are too worried what other people are doing.  If we have issues in certain areas, you need to look in the mirror, first.

Most of the time, the average has been about 10 people. 10 people stepping on themselves is pretty sad and it's "your own doing". A well oiled squad will have very little voice communication. Effective communication requires saying and only doing what is necessary, for an end result or reaction.  Regardless, ACRE or other schemes are not going to fix the fundamental problems of people just having some discipline and how one is contributing to the problem in the first place.

ACRE as an example should be used to enhance the experience with gameplay and not necessarily in place to fix issues.

With that said, I do agree in vehicles, and fireteams will pose problems on single channels. There are several ways of doing including ACRE. Regardless of any mod or teamspeak config, and or in-game voip, it should be used to help us be more effective and people should avoid thinking it will fix problems (bandaid). The same problems will be there, just at different levels.

I have delayed commenting much on some of this, or imposing anything as we are a small group, and had hope people would get the gist of what was causing some of these problems. If you can't communicate effectively as a small group and learn when certain communication is appropriate, surely no mod can fix that.

I think the majority here and I do know that the majority of the patron group (donators to the game-server) desire to use ACRE.  I will impose that ACRE is an recommended mod we use for the experience, but at the same time will not force anyone one to use any mods, which is a core value of this group, nor use of this mod or any mod dictating play requirements of this group. There are plenty of mil-sim groups for that.

Since we utilize 2 servers, one will become dedicated ACRE server. The other will remain plan jane for the moment as missions should be built for ACRE in mind, to take advantage of some aspects.

I will put up installation instructions and will support installation for those that need it.

« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013, 08:22 AM by TURD »

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Lots of fun - both playing the mission and watching it again from another vantage point. Thanks, PapaReap! I haven't watched the whole video yet, but I will. However, I wanted to note something about the mission:

Re. that northern radar tower, it turned out to be more like 1400 meters from the enemy, rather than just 1000 (which is still a long way off). That's a bit too far for my sniper skills  :) , but the big problem is that there was no one to shoot at from there.

If there were enemy on that side of town, they'd already moved towards you guys, since you started shooting before HRD and I got into position (not surprisingly, since we had a very long way to go). I caught glimpses of a few enemy soldiers moving through town, but there's just no way in hell to hit a moving figure at that distance, even if they'd been in the open. (As it was, I just saw them briefly, as they moved between the buildings and other cover.)

We ended up moving closer, and eventually, I think we (or HRD, at least) killed a couple of guys standing in windows and doors. But for the most part, that side of the town seemed to be empty, with the AI having moved towards the sound of gunfire. And in general, trying to shoot enemy inside a town with a sniper rifle doesn't work very well, certainly once they know there are people nearby.

So I was wondering how we could do this next time, and I think there are a couple of possibilities. One is to forget about snipers entirely. This mission really isn't designed for that, not past the very beginning, at least.

The other option would be to set up on that little ridge south of town and start firing, trying to lure the AI towards us. Most likely, they'd try to flank us to the left and right (assuming that the enemy in town will move towards firing), but the other guys on the team could be ready for that.

I might try that on my own, or with just a couple of people, sometime. But I doubt if a group of people would want to play the mission like that. So I suggest that the snipers simply switch loadouts once we get to the hangar. A sniper is needed before then, but not afterwards. And if we switched to an AA or an AT loadout, that would be useful.  :)

Just a thought. I had a great time with the mission, though, and I'm enjoying the video, too.

Bill

PS. Nice job leading the mission, Dan! Seriously, you did great. It wasn't your fault we all died.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013, 01:35 PM by WCG »

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:57 PM »
10 people stepping on themselves is pretty sad and it's "your own doing".

I'm not sure I agree with that, Turd. If you watch this video, there's chatter, true, but I don't think we did too badly. And as you say, this is a casual group.

The big problem, to my mind, is that we were two squads in three different locations. Without a simple way to talk to just the people in our own group, it's always going to get confusing. (It's not that we have ten people, really, since ten people sticking together in the same location wouldn't be nearly that hard to tell what's going on.)

I know nothing about Acre - I've never used it - so I can't say anything about that. But I don't think this is just a problem of communication discipline. Some of that, sure, but as a casual group, we're going to get some of that, anyway. But I don't think that's the main problem.

Just my opinion, of course.

Bill

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 01, 2013, 02:12 PM »
Acre will not solve all the issues. Acre is just a tool or enhancement. Just like any tool it's only as good, how effectively people use it.  One of the problems, we are a causal group, and have no communication discipline nor enforce any rules. With a casual group you are going to have chaos. It comes with the stye of gameplay, and we are the victims of our own induced circumstances.

For the past couple months there has been complaining about communication and other aspects. The intent and core idea of the this group has always been casual, being casual has its limitations. People here need to understand that and live with what revolves around with this type of game-play and group.  I expect you to have the tolerance, patience and as well, deal shortcomings of this type of group. Nothing is perfect and never will be. Also another point, many people are too worried what other people are doing.  If we have issues in certain areas, you need to look in the mirror, first.

Most of the time, the average has been about 10 people. 10 people stepping on themselves is pretty sad and it's "your own doing". A well oiled squad will have very little voice communication. Effective communication requires saying and only doing what is necessary, for an end result or reaction.  Regardless, ACRE or other schemes are not going to fix the fundamental problems of people just having some discipline and how one is contributing to the problem in the first place.

ACRE as an example should be used to enhance the experience with gameplay and not necessarily in place to fix issues.

With that said, I do agree in vehicles, and fireteams will pose problems on single channels. There are several ways of doing including ACRE. Regardless of any mod or teamspeak config, and or in-game voip, it should be used to help us be more effective and people should avoid thinking it will fix problems (bandaid). The same problems will be there, just at different levels.

I have delayed commenting much on some of this, or imposing anything as we are a small group, and had hope people would get the gist of what was causing some of these problems. If you can't communicate effectively as a small group and learn when certain communication is appropriate, surely no mod can fix that.

I think the majority here and I do know that the majority of the patron group (donators to the game-server) desire to use ACRE.  I will impose that ACRE is an recommended mod we use for the experience, but at the same time will not force anyone one to use any mods, which is a core value of this group, nor use of this mod or any mod dictating play requirements of this group. There are plenty of mil-sim groups for that.

Since we utilize 2 servers, one will become dedicated ACRE server. The other will remain plan jane for the moment as missions should be built for ACRE in mind, to take advantage of some aspects.

I will put up installation instructions and will support installation for those that need it.

i hate to say it but i disagree with you for the most part. With the tvt group i play with each side is in the ts3 lobby and can not hear each other unless they are near each other in the game. ACRE would change your normal push to talk button into a local voice so that only people close to you could hear and it is directional so people further away wont hear you as well. To communicate with others that arent in your immediate area you use the radio (which can be set to different stations and powers as well as having more powerful radio models). I do agree that it is an enhancement but saying it isnt a tool to fix things just confuses me.

It will take time for people to fully understand it (i dont yet) but that goes with pretty much anything.

edit: i read over your post a couple times and i think i understand what your concerns are. I agree you cant force somebody to use something in a casual group and i agree that this should stay a casual group. If we can somehow get everybody using this mod and being comfortable with it i still feel that it would solve a majority of the problems. The problem is that any chatty cathy that doesnt want to install or use the mod will pretty much make acre pointless. I wasnt trying to start an argument about any of this but i wasnt looking at both sides and i admit i was wrong for doing so.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2013, 02:25 PM by deathmetaldan »

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 01, 2013, 02:26 PM »
hrd had said something about ts3 whispering that he uses with his flight sim group.... could we give that a shot?