Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: What type of SSD do you recommend/use  (Read 3475 times)

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
What type of SSD do you recommend/use
« on: Apr 07, 2016, 05:00 PM »
Title says it.  I want to buy a new ssd to put games on and am unsure what the goto brand is at this time.  I have a 120gb corsair neutron for my os and some programs. Thanks

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
Re: What type of SSD do you recommend/use
« Reply #1 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:13 PM »
I usually do a lot of research when buying PC components and one site that is almost always included in my research is Tom's Hardware, which has been around for quite awhile.  Not so much the forums there, just the articles.  For major components they usually update their suggestions multiple times a year.  Tom's Hardware - Best SSDs of 2016 - March

I've had issues with OCZ and Corsair storage products... I think it was OCZ SSD and Corsair RAM, but I forget which is which.

I've had success with and currently use Samsung 840 EVO SSD.  One 250GB for my OS (plus whatever else I put on it) and one 250GB for my games (mostly Arma).

I also have a lightly used Sandisk Ultra Plus 64GB when I dual boot into my "financials" PC, no complaints with it...  Not to be confused with Tom's recommended Sandisk Extreme...  The Ultra was previously a "value" recommend.

If I buy another SSD, it will probably be Samsung... either the EVO or PRO line depending on what I want to spend.

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Oh and... bigger is better...  well, it used to be the smaller SSD vs bigger SSD had different performance characteristics, but what I'm talking about is with my 2x 250GB SSD I'm often juggling data around to make room...  Need more room...

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:27 PM »
I would agree with Luke, I've used quite a few ssd's and the Samsung's I'm using now are great, would buy again without a doubt.

I have both 850 evo and 850 pro's and there is only a slight speed difference (these ssd's are already lightning fast, the numbers are better for the pro).

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Apr 07, 2016, 06:58 PM »
just don`t get the one wagg`s got......... ;D

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2016, 08:51 AM »
When I first upgraded my PC before finding nqdy I bought a Samsung 840 evo 120 gig to run my OS. I kept my games and everything else on a HDD.

Over the Christmas holidays I got a great deal on a 1tb Sandisk  ultra II. I've loaded all my games on it with steam ect and now have my 2 HDDs for other files.

I would second a Samsung or Sandisk. As for speed unless you find a good sale on the Pro or Extreme versions of either brand.. Like Reap said you won't notice much of a difference.. Especially when it comes to games where the only performance you will get is a decrease in loading times. Theirs no gain in FPS from faster SSD or HDD.

I would also recommend what Luke said, to get the biggest one you can afford. 1 TB is great.

Ghost

« Last Edit: Apr 08, 2016, 08:53 AM by GhostFire »

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2016, 09:00 AM »
I went with Samsung 850 EVO 500gb. Now I wait a few days :'(

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2016, 09:05 AM »
how much, from where?

Offline Fishercat

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 10, 2016, 09:12 AM »
Samsung 850 EVO 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E500B/AM)
Amazon.  150 bucks
« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2016, 03:23 PM by Fishercat »