Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: What's your GPU?  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
What's your GPU?
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 06:32 PM »
What video card do you play with and are you happy with it?

I was thinking about the graphics card I just retired and did some research, albeit not very much but hopefully the numbers are close.

• ~Jan 2012: AMD releases HD7950 and various manufacturers offer it for MSRP slightly below $500. I don't know what the actual street prices were.
  • Sep 2013: I bought my HD7950 for $229
  • Dec 2015: I retire my HD7950

IOW, I waited for the card to be 1.75 year old tech, then paid less than half price for it, with an average cost of slightly over $100 per year of use.

I think the card played Arma III OK.  I adjusted the video settings too much to give a very accurate description of exactly how well, but I played with above average settings... I wouldn't have mistook Arma III for minecraft like a fellow player here... you know who I'm talking about  ;D.  The new card was more of a treat for myself than a necessity.

I think the HD7950 falls between Nvidia GTX 760 and 770.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Re: What's your GPU?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2016, 10:32 PM »
I'm currently using a Sapphire R9 290x Vapor-x 8gb I bought back around the end of 2014 I believe.

I'm extremly happy with this card, coming from (2) 6850's in crossfire with only 1gb each, this card is a workhorse.

I was torn between getting a nVidia 970 or even the 980 at the time.
Knowing I would be pushing 3 monitors and the price in the upper middle, I opted for the 290x with the 8gb at 512 bandwidth.

This card rocks! Everything on ultra with eyefinity, smooth as butter and ultra cool running... I can't complain.

Figure this will get me by for another few years or until something really tempting comes along :)

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:49 AM »
GTX 780

I'm very happy with this card. Running at all stock speeds it eats up everything I play without breaking a sweat.

I bought the reference model which is shown on the linked picture below.

http://www.nvidia.com/gtx-700-graphics-cards/gtx-780/

I like the models which throw the hot air out the back of the case.
β€œIt's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

Offline Denny

• Patron
  • Head shot.. Best shot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2016, 10:03 AM »
"  The new card was more of a treat for myself than a necessity.  "

That was exactly my case.  Arma3 played absolutely flawless with my GTX 460, but the fan started sounding like a constant helicopter in my office and the FPS was starting to be an item.  I am constantly amazed how good Arma looks now with my GTX 970 (along with many older games I am returning now to enjoy) Wish I did it much sooner.

Check your ammo.

Offline DTRAX

• Admin Staff
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016, 02:34 PM »
I'm running the GTX 760 4gb card at stock speeds. pushing 3 24" displays ,mainly high to standard settings in Arma it holds about 45 fps but is very smooth. If i run every thing on ultra it will hold 30 - 32 FPS

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:11 PM »
Lots of good cards there.  Looks like I was running on the low end for sure.

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Just sold my evga gtx 780 sc edition for 300 and stepped into a Asus gtx 970 strix for 100 more.
Performance is very similar but the 970 when overclocked can beat my 780 with ease also being much more efficient.

I plan on using it as a gpu in an upcoming home theatre pc build and buying a new pascal or polaris gpu for my main gaming rig in the near future.