Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Arma might have some competition  (Read 3269 times)

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
Arma might have some competition
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:50 AM »
I think I have talked about this in the past...but anyways its coming into early access on steam next month. PvP but I think it's bridging the gap between arcade run and gun and Arma realism. Here's some links to check out

kickstarter trailer         

pre-alpha gameplay

for more info you can check out their website
 https://joinsquad.com/

Ghost

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
Re: Arma might have some competition
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Good post.

I think it might end up being a good replacement for the Battlefield 2 Project Reality players.

I watched this just before I read your post and all I could think of is Rust.

That FOB would fit in the back of one of the HEMTTs and we could use Igiload to move it from place to place.

They could never support the scale of Arma 3 has. I've played a lot of large scale Arma PvP matches and that would be hard to compete with.

The fact that an average to noob scripter could go into Arma 3 and make a 40 vs 40 completely customized mission on the entire map of Altis with vehicles , jets , subs and boats not to mention the massive inventory of weapons to draw from is why it's hard to compete with.

I just wish more large communities would hold events for that. The game runs like a beast when you don't have 256 AI running around.

I understand The Squad Game is in early stage now and has potential but I can't ever see it competing with Arma 3.

I'd like to agree with you but I just don't see it.
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2015, 01:37 PM »
agree to disagree :D

I think for PVP it sits nicely between large scale PVP of BF and ARMA. Probably with a large splash of Insurgency in it if you have ever played that.

It has large matches of 50v50, Special Voip built into it for command,SL and grunt communication, realistic weapon handling, maps based on real world locations, real factions and units, different roles (medic, grenadier, SL ect) and vehicles (heli's, jet's, tanks,trucks,apc's, ect no water craft yet) Fob's and base building.

Take away Arma's editor and larger map sizes and thing's might be more similar then you think.

To be clear, I don't think it's a replacement by any mean's, Arma is huge...almost as big as it's community. I do believe that this game carves it's own slice of that genre though. Which is Great!! Competition is good thing which lead's to innovation.

I should have chosen a different subject line ;)
"Another war game"

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2015, 03:42 PM »
Your subject line is fine. Don't change it. ;D

I've seen a few of these type of games pop up and fade away.

My opinion is that the perfect devs for this sort of thing would be the ones who have been doing FPS the longest.

Take COD2 as an example...that had an awesome campaign and really fun PvP with big maps, jeeps and tanks and stuff like that.
Now there games are just crap. Those are the guys who could have done it right I think. Same with the battlefield devs.

If you really wanted to you could use Arma 3 to do exactly what Squad is doing.

I like a good PvP game so I'm still going to keep an eye on it cause you never know...
“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

Offline Stogy

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2015, 05:03 PM »
Nice find Ghost. Looks very promising. I think as the gaming population gets older which it is you will see more of these "pop up" realistic type shooters increase. Then if they are smart and allow moding like BF4 realism mod etc then it will only mean more quality shooters coming along.
Here is a "pop up" that looks like it could be fun. Check out the 45 degree mounted sight. Cool idea for switching from long to short range.

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2015, 08:09 PM »
That gun sight is pretty cool.

Game devs that allow for the modders tend to be in it for the long haul.
― Mark Twain