Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Windows 10 question  (Read 1420 times)

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
Windows 10 question
« on: Aug 06, 2015, 04:48 PM »
Anyone on here that has upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 could you explain how the "key" system worked for you once you upgraded?

did you get a brand new key for Windows 10 during the upgrade that you can reuse down the road if needed?

Is it the same key that was for 8.1 but now works with windows 10?

If you upgraded your hardware with a new motherboard after already installing windows 10 on the previous system MB do you know what would need to be done to valiadte windows again? is it the same as before where you call the microsoft hotline to validate passcodes to confirm you have a valid windows license?

Mostly curious since I plan to update my system in the next few months and I'm wondering if I would be best to wait to upgrade to windows 10 when I get my new hardware.

Hope all this makes sense ;D

Ghost

Offline Stogy

• STEAM Profile
Re: Windows 10 question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:20 PM »
Just upgraded. Did not see anything about a key. I am thinking that version 10 is now attached to my original key, but I am pulling that out of my rear. Really  not sure about that one.

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2015, 07:41 PM »
I've not upgraded.  I've read you upgrade and activate.  Then do new install, skip entering key, activation will succeed based on whatever information they stored about your PC during upgrade activation (presumably the same info they use to make sure you don't install on multiple PCs).  I also read you do not get a new key and your 8 key will not work for 10, even after upgrade activation.

I'd wait to upgrade as it may be easier to get MS to approve a reinstall of Win 8 in case you fail the new hardware check.  Well, that's assuming that once you do get reactivated your now tied to that new hardware instead of the old hardware.  I've never had to call them due to new hardware.

Offline GhostFire

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2015, 04:01 AM »
Yeh these are the things I've been wondering about.

I just got the notice that windows 10 is now available for me to install but I'm holding off until I know how the key system works until then.

Even with a clean install on the same PC using windows 10 I'm sure it would still require a key to be entered to validate it like 8.1 does.
I have used the microsoft phone validation process before with windows 7 and it worked fine other then taking up a bit of time to enter all the passcode numbers.

Anyways I'll scour the internet and wait on the upgrade untill then.

Ghost

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Anyone on here that has upgraded to Windows 10 from 8.1 could you explain how the "key" system worked for you once you upgraded?

did you get a brand new key for Windows 10 during the upgrade that you can reuse down the road if needed?

Is it the same key that was for 8.1 but now works with windows 10?

If you upgraded your hardware with a new motherboard after already installing windows 10 on the previous system MB do you know what would need to be done to valiadte windows again? is it the same as before where you call the microsoft hotline to validate passcodes to confirm you have a valid windows license?

Mostly curious since I plan to update my system in the next few months and I'm wondering if I would be best to wait to upgrade to windows 10 when I get my new hardware.

Hope all this makes sense ;D

Ghost

A lot of this depends on which type of windows you are upgrading from.

If you're upgrading from a "oem" version (came pre-installed from manufacture) then it will try to be locked to the motherboard (microsofts way of identifying the life of pc) so if you clean install to a new motherboard it most likely would require a phone activation, a clean install to the same motherboard should not require a phone activation.

If you purchased a "retail" version windows (7 or 8.1) then you own the rights to install to any new pc (only 1 at a time) and your rights transfer to windows 10 as well.

Here's some useful answers for other questions about win 10 upgrade
http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-upgrade-and-installation-frequently-asked-questions

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2015, 11:31 AM »
Here's a handy way to find what your windows lic key is if you've lost or can't find it. It also works to find your new win 10 key. Just (double left click) or (right click /open) on the file and your key is shown for you to write down.

file is named productkey.vbs
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j40d1cerohma3in/productkey.vbs?dl=0

Or you can make your own file if you don't want the dropbox link, just create a empty .txt file place the below code and rename to productkey.vbs

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2015, 04:27 PM »
I've not upgraded.  I've read you upgrade and activate.  Then do new install, skip entering key, activation will succeed based on whatever information they stored about your PC during upgrade activation <snip>.

I did this and unfortunately found it does not work.  I also tried using both my Win 10 upgrade key (retrieved using script posted by Papa) and Win 7 Starter key, neither worked during Win 10 reinstall or post-install Win 10 activation.  I've not been able to find any way to get the fresh-install to activate.   There are numerous postings claiming the above works, but it doesn't for me.

Now, I need to reinstall Win 7 Starter and upgrade to win 10 again.  I plan on creating a HDD image in case I need to reinstall after they stop the free upgrade program.