Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Suppressing Fire  (Read 9118 times)

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
Suppressing Fire
« on: Sep 15, 2014, 11:27 PM »
Good morning Gentlemen.

Today's note is about the importance of this phenomenon which can save lives. We need to become better at this, I think it was Rat and Denny in a mission long long time ago that really used the machine guns very well.

Unfortunately I think we have become a bit sloppy lately. I know we have been focusing on the bounding overwatch, so its about time that we look what to do when the bad guys shoot at us.
As the word indicate, this is fire to keep them down so they cant shoot at our buddies in the moving team.
The fire doesn't have to be deadly accurate, just in the area where the enemy is located.
This is like Anti Sniper Fire....   ;D
As far as I have seen, AI actually take cover when lead start to fly around them, so they are more human than some of us  :P .

I was thinking we in the mission Wednesday will practice this...    Dont underestimate the power of Suppressing Fire  ;)
SAW is your friend.

There is a method in the Swedish army that can translate with "Ranger Shot" , which is used when advancing, the whole team move on a line and its like a bounding overwatch , you walk a few meters, stop and fire towards the enemy, move again. The whole team can either synchronize the stop and shoot or do it unsynced, to make the enemy believe that the fire is continuous.   We did this quite a lot with live ammo back in the days, so I know the importance of not getting ahead of my team  :o
Tired and Tired again, re-tired!

Offline deathmetaldan

• superbientes reprimendi
    • STEAM Profile
Re: Suppressing Fire
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:30 AM »

i had tried to do this a few times but i dont think the other person understood what i was saying.

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:46 AM »
As far as I have seen, AI actually take cover when lead start to fly around them, so they are more human than some of us  :P .

Is this still part of a mod we're using, or did BIS put suppression in the standard game? Just curious. I remember that it didn't exist in Arma 3 earlier, but I don't remember which mod changed that.

Anyway, the big problem I have with suppression fire is that it causes me to run out of ammo even faster than I usually do. And that's often a problem even when I don't try to suppress the enemy, especially now that you get horribly fatigued when you carry too much stuff.

I still use suppression fire on occasion, but only in very specific circumstances. Heck, forget about suppression fire - I only use automatic fire of any kind in very specific circumstances, just because I can't carry enough ammo for a long mission unless I watch my fire rate.

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2014, 07:26 AM »
Bill, I just got an idea...  We send one sniper/scout team in front...  We leave one team behind for secure the supply line. They are there to drive like "BillOnAQuad" to deliver ammo to the rest of the team  :)

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2014, 08:44 AM »
missions that have moving supplies as part of the flow have been the most fun for me. I forget what mission it was or who made it but the objective was to drive the baddies out of towns and then deliver supplies and a water barrel by helicopter, that mission was awesome.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2014, 03:32 PM »
missions that have moving supplies as part of the flow have been the most fun for me. I forget what mission it was or who made it but the objective was to drive the baddies out of towns and then deliver supplies and a water barrel by helicopter, that mission was awesome.

DPS CO24 Clean Sweep, you must be the only one who enjoyed this one. Think we had too much fog and the mission was too long for everyone else.

Although there are plans to cut it into 2 parts to shorten it.

Offline Blankcache

• Patron
  • I am an Armaholic.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2014, 04:57 PM »
 I may be wrong but I believe the ASRAI mod we all run probably provides the AI's reaction to being fired upon. Suppressive fire is effective from what I've seen. During some missions I've seen Reap suppress enemy with his MG and it seems to have an effect.
β€œIt's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.”
― Mark Twain

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:32 PM »
I may be wrong but I believe the ASRAI mod we all run probably provides the AI's reaction to being fired upon. Suppressive fire is effective from what I've seen. During some missions I've seen Reap suppress enemy with his MG and it seems to have an effect.

Tpwcas

Offline deathmetaldan

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:36 PM »

DPS CO24 Clean Sweep, you must be the only one who enjoyed this one. Think we had too much fog and the mission was too long for everyone else.

thanks reap, i really couldnt remember what it was called or who made it. Wasnt it already 2 parts? I do remember the really really extreme fog on the first day... made for great ambiance.

I was thinking about this thread for most of the day (who doesnt think of arma all day? :P) and realized we dont have many (or maybe any) missions with CAS from a player controlled jet..... somebody with much more skill than myself should get on that.... pretty please lol.

Offline PapaReap

• Global Administrator
    • STEAM Profile
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:04 PM »

thanks reap, i really couldnt remember what it was called or who made it. Wasnt it already 2 parts? I do remember the really really extreme fog on the first day... made for great ambiance.

I was thinking about this thread for most of the day (who doesnt think of arma all day? :P) and realized we dont have many (or maybe any) missions with CAS from a player controlled jet..... somebody with much more skill than myself should get on that.... pretty please lol.

Actually the two parts were the same missoin spread out over 2 days, the second day the fog came in really heavy.

We have a few missions with limited CAS (needs good teamwork and practice), we are going to be adding a few in the near future also.

Offline Watchmen

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 16, 2014, 11:51 PM »
I believe one method to approach this is to assign a smaller sized support team of SAW gunners/marksmen to suppress the enemy with a high volume of bullets, while another larger team equipped for simultaneous movement and fire advances forward. Then the assault team holds when they reached their objective and wait for the support fireteam to catch up and reposition to cover them before they advance again. The term used for by the fire support team in this case is base of fire and base of fire position.

"Bravo team will establish a base of fire by moving to a base of fire position to provide suppressive fire support for Alpha team"

It is a similar approach to bounding overwatch in regards to the technique but is a variation in that each team plays a distinctly different role instead of the usual equally sized teams with similar loadouts who take turns to cover each other. In summary, 1 small team does the "covering" while a larger team does the "moving and firing".

The benefit of trying this approach is that each team only has to focus on one type of action for the whole squad to pull it off, which makes things significantly easier for those of who haven't yet mastered the technique while delivering the same level of  combat efficiency. I pulled this straight from the tt3p by the way.
...yes in fact it is so dependable that my bread and butter relies on it.

Offline Luke Warm

• Patron
    • STEAM Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 17, 2014, 05:45 PM »
US Marines demonstrating "Talking Guns" with Soviet RPK machine guns

Each group seems to be a three man team.  Does anyone know the details of their responsibilities.  I noticed slight difference like the left group the two people were just laying next to each other with one guy arm/hand on others back (or maybe shoulder) while the right group they crossed legs and one guy appeared to be grabbing the guys helmet.

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 17, 2014, 11:04 PM »
US Marines demonstrating "Talking Guns" with Soviet RPK machine guns

Each group seems to be a three man team.  Does anyone know the details of their responsibilities.  I noticed slight difference like the left group the two people were just laying next to each other with one guy arm/hand on others back (or maybe shoulder) while the right group they crossed legs and one guy appeared to be grabbing the guys helmet.

Normally I think they are 2 guys in the MG team, one Gunner and one Ammo bearer/spotter who also carries extra barrels. (I have burnt myself more than once  :'(  ) , I guess that one Ammo bearer can serve 2 gunners without any problems.....
The touching might be signs, since voice comm is impossible in this situation. Maybe directions on targets...

A small oddity from the Swedish handbook...  When you direct fire from a sniper or a rifleman, you give the direction on where the bullet hit. When spotting for a MG, you tell which direction he should point the fire, so the complete opposite...  Once I almost shot friends, because my spotter wasnt usually spotting for MG, so he shouted, "left", so I turned the fire to the left.....  No good  :'(