Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

News:

DONATIONS TO HELP COVER SERVER COSTS: Every little bit helps!
https://www.paypal.com/pools/c/81mjCq47Ho

TeamSpeak 3 & Arma III Servers
nqdytactical.myddns.rocks

collapse

* Current Time for NQDY

GAME TIMES:

[Vanilla] Fridays: 5PM PST
[Modded] Saturdays: 5PM PST

* [ NQDY ] Tactical Unit - S

* NQDY - Vanilla

* NQDY - Primary

Author Topic: Movement & Fire.  (Read 3410 times)

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
Movement & Fire.
« on: Sep 04, 2014, 04:49 AM »
Yesterday I succeeded leading the group.

When a group move there are a few things to think of.

1. Bounding overwatch: The ones who move HOLD Fire and the ones who Fire DONT Move !

2. Movement in the group is slow and observation of the surroundings are important (Where are my Buddies?, Where do I move in cover?, Where are enemies?)

3. Bounding overwatch again:  When Fire, only until its time to move, One of the mistakes made is to get stuck in one place. The enemies will locate you and concentrate fire on that spot, even the Headless client would figure that out. If we keep moving/Firing, we will have the advantage and we win ground Push! Push! Push!

4. The distance to move dependens on the terrain, in open it might be best is one fire team get cross the field even if its far. In forrest, maybe 25 - 50 meters jumps..

5. To move in cover (forest) we dont always need to use bounding overwatch, we can move in a line or column... just remember that this is NOT a competition, the one who comes first may get awarded a bullet in the head if he doesnt have his team close. (Either enemy or friendly fire when the other cant see who it is).

We are for sure getting better !

Have a great day !

Tired and Tired again, re-tired!

Offline WCG

• STEAM Profile
    • That's interesting...
Re: Movement & Fire.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2014, 07:07 AM »
We are for sure getting better !

Yes, indeed. Yesterday went great! Thanks for the inspired leadership, Folke.

One thing specific to the sniper/overwatch team, though: It really makes a huge difference where we are. If we've got a good field of view, with open ground in front of us (ideally, above the enemy, since tall grass makes it very hard to lie down, or even sit, and shoot), we can be a real asset.

We're much less valuable pushing forward through thick cover, unless it's to move from one vantage point to another. Indeed, that can be dangerous, if we haven't thinned down the enemy first. Of course, we'll attract enemy if we stay too long in one place (especially if we're not using suppressors).

I noticed that yesterday at the first task, when it was just Lundtang and I (Lundtang leading our little team). You had us go right, Folke, to flank some infantry, and that worked great. We ended up in a position where we could shoot wave after wave of infantry as they were rushing towards you guys (thus, from right to left in front of us).

We were using suppressors, and they had a hard time spotting us before they'd die. Plus, there was an open field in front of us, so they had a hard time charging us, even when they did spot us.

We stayed there awhile, because it was such a good location for us. When ordered forward, we were lucky to encounter only a couple of stragglers, because they were at point blank range. But then, that was the whole point, to clear out the bulk of the enemy first. (I still don't know why they didn't see us then, because we probably should have been shot, anyway.)

For us, the whole mission was like that. It was hard to find a good location, where we could see the enemy at a decent range, without grass or other problems (again, high positions are so very valuable to the sniper/overwatch team!), and some cover for ourselves. But when we did, we could really contribute.

Yup, it worked great yesterday. Great job, Folke! I just thought I'd point out that "Push! Push! Push!" is more of an assault-team strategy, rather than for the overwatch team.

Of course, staying too long in one place can be a problem there, too, but there are usually fewer good positions for the overwatch team. If it comes to staying in a productive location a bit longer or moving somewhere we can't be effective, I know which I'd choose.

Of course, I do tend to stay too long in one place, which is why I need a leader to tell me to get my butt in gear and start moving again.  :)

Bill

Offline Folke

• STEAM Profile
Re: Movement & Fire.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:04 AM »
Rattle will still get soar ears from our comms, but even there I think it goes in the right direction  ;)

Maybe one day we will be there !
Of course for support team is not Push Push, its more sneak sneak.  To stay low, find the good spot, find an alternative good spot and keep out of sight for the enemy until needed by the assault team  ;)

Unfortunately this will cause some waiting, however yesterday I didnt see it as a problem, people seem to stretch legs and get drink when this happen...   So yesterday was imo very very good !
Tired and Tired again, re-tired!